Courtesy of the awesome ThinkGeek.com
Yesterday, I was chatting to a customer at the bookynook and (for some reason I can’t now remember), I said to her, “Oh, yeah. I am a complete nerd.”
She looked at me, eyes narrowed, and said, “You don’t look like a nerd. What makes you a nerd?”
In reply, I gave her an approximation of this list, which I have called, “Reasons why I am a nerd”.
1. I used to walk around my primary school making up poems and saying them out loud to myself. This is why I had no friends.
2. When I was younger, I was determined I was going to call my first-born child Veralidaine, after Veralidaine Sarrasri. the main character from Tamora Pierce’s Immortals series.
3. My husband and I are still determined we will call our first-born son Thor. Cos we like vikings and stuff.
4. We also like Viking metal. and Pagan metal. And folk metal. And fairy metal. And one of our favourite bands has a lot of songs about The Lord of the Rings.
5. I really, really like The Lord of the Rings. But I like The Hobbit more.
6. I run Linux on my computer. And my phone.
7. I sniff books when they come out of the boxes at work.
8. I know SQL.
9. Apart from metal, my favourite kinds of music are country (I LOVE Willie Nelson), and 90’s bubblegum pop (ditto Spice Girls).
10. My husband reads me HP Lovecraft.
11. I like Japanese horror movies.
12. I sing to my cat.
13. I have a crush on Neil Gaiman. And Scott Westerfeld.
14. I am pedantic about grammar.
15. I am currently coveting a necklace at the jewellers just because it has an octopus on it and I am in love with Alexia Tarabotti.
16. My first ever celebrity crush was on David Bowie, in his Labyrinth costume.
17. I am totally Team Unicorn.
18. When my husband told me I looked like a demented elf I was, secretly, proud.
19. I write about elves. And shapeshifters. And, one day, I really want to write about druids.
20. I am a trained librarian.
21. I know an awful lot about Greek Theatre.
22. I spent a disturbing amount of time in my wardrobe as a kid.
23. My husband and I first bonded over a shared love of Turkish Delight, based solely on the fact that we both love CS Lewis.
24. My first date with soon-to-be-husband was to a Harry Potter movie.
25. I used to belong to a mediaeval re-enactment society.
26. I love John Green …
27. … nearly as much as I love Dungeons and Dragons.
28. I used to wear Happy Pants. Lots.
29. I wear a Sonata Arctica necklace and a Nightwish ring (Google them).
30. I do actually believe in fairies. Really. When I go to the UK in three weeks I am going to go looking for them.
I could go on and on and on. But I’m a bit worried I’m scaring you. So, I’ll throw it over to you. Are you a nerd? And, if so, why?